Be Your Own Boss
Get Your Own Broker Authority
- What Is Required?
All new entrant Property Brokers must obtain a DOT and MC Number.
After the initial application has been submitted, before the authority will be granted:
- You must submit a BOC-3 Process Agent Filing. A process agent is a representative upon whom court papers may be served in any proceeding brought against a motor carrier, broker, or freight forwarder.
- You must also have a surety bond or trust fund in effect for $75,000. The FMCSA will not issue a property broker's license until a surety bond or trust fund is in effect. A broker license shall remain in effect only as long as a surety bond or trust fund remains in effect and shall ensure the financial responsibility of the broker.
- How Fast Can I Get My Own Authority?
- Your requests for authority will be reviewed by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration and will be published as a preliminary grant almost immediately after we submit the electronic filing. The grant decision publication notices do not represent authority to operate. In the absence of opposition, authority will be issued within 20 days of date of publication provided the Process Agent filing has been submitted and your bonding company has filed proof that the surety bond has been issued.
- How Much Will It Cost?
- We will file the necessary application forms for you electronically for only $515.00. This includes the filing fee, the necessary BOC-3 Process Agent filing and access to the following 4 loadboards for one year FREE: loadsolutions.com,
freight-terminal.com, hotshotcarrier.com & stepdeckcarriers.com.
As a broker, the loadboard of particular importance to you will be LoadSolutions.com. This site has a shipper database that will help you to find companies of interest around the country.
- What else do I need?
- You need to do a UCR Registration (Universal Carrier Registration). This is a step many new applicants miss because it is not required to get their authority and they simply don't know about it. They usually find out the hard way when a truck carrying one of your loads is stopped and the enforcement official sees that the UCR registration has not been completed and the truck with one of their loads is detained until the fee is paid.
We can handle this for you after your broker authority has been granted and you are assigned a DOT number. The cost is $120. This registration must also be done at the end of each year for the following year.
- Ready To Get Started?
- Please take a few minutes and fill out the application form below. It gives us the basic information that is needed and eliminates the chance of spelling errors that can develop if we take the information over the phone.